Gothic revival by David Hay Jones, INFO
The Gothic revival Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 804 West Vliet Street, designed by Herman Paul Schnetzky.
Name of building: Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Year completed: 1889.
Architect: Herman Paul Schnetzky.
Location: 804 West Vliet Street.
Certification: Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Architectural style: Gothic revival.
Observations: Architectural historian Richard Perrin writes, St John's
appears almost exactly as it did at the time of its completion and dedication in 1890. Architecturally, the south has two towers, one being much taller than the other. This treatment does not have very much European precedent but seems to have been largely an American Gothic revival manifestation.
History: The original cost of construction was about $40,000. The congregation was organized in 1848 by German immigrants.